So, you've fed your baby, changed their diapers and made sure that they are not sick, but your baby still doesn't seem to be showing any signs of quieting down? Here are a few tricks and techniques that you can use to soothe your crying baby:
Give them something to suck on
Offer your baby a pacifier or a clean finger to suck on, as sucking can help relax their stomach, steady their heart rate and settle them down.
Gently massage them
Most babies love to be massaged, so gently rub your child's back and kneed their arms and legs slowly to bring them comfort.
Slowly rock or sway them
While carrying your baby in your arms, gently rock or sway your baby to soothe them. You can also use a rocking chair, baby swing, bouncy seat, or stroller for this.
Swaddle and cuddle them
Not all babies enjoy being swaddled (wrapped), as some might find it too constrictive, but most will enjoy the warmth and closeness. Use a blanket to wrap your baby and gently move them around the room or hum to them in order to put them at ease.
Use music to soothe your baby
Try playing music, humming a song or a lullaby while moving around the room. You'll need to experiment with different types of music to find out what your baby likes more.
Expose them to some fresh air
Sometimes all your baby needs is a bit of fresh air to quiet them down. Open a window or take them outside the room and see how they react.
Give yourself a break
Having a crying baby that can't be easily soothed can be a stressful affair, so be sure to give yourself some time out to recharge your batteries and de-stress before you get back to your baby and seeing to their needs. Here are a few tips for when you feel like you're reaching your limit:
• Place your baby somewhere safe and let them cry it out; crying itself won't hurt your baby, and they just might need the release.
• Take deep, soothing breaths and remind yourself that your baby will outgrow this phase.
• Call a friend or family member and ask for advice on what to do.
• Have someone you trust take over the baby for a while.
• Play some quiet music to distract yourself and ease your tension.
• No matter how frustrated you get, make sure that you never ever shake your baby.